Direct Current, or DC, is current that only flows in one direction. Unlike alternating current (AC), which changes path 50 or 60 times every second based on the frequency of the supply, current in DC circuits only flows in one direction. The electrons that make up the electric charge move from the minor level potential to the point of strong potential as the direct current flows. They switch from the negative to the positive terminal, and the resulting current flows the other way. Read More…
TDK-Lambda Americas Inc.National City, CA | 800-275-5224
TDK-Lambda Americas designs and manufactures a wide range of AC-DC and DC-DC power supplies and EMI Filters for Medical, Telecom, Industrial, Datacom, and Test & Measurement applications worldwide. The company has been a major provider of power solutions since 1948. TDK-Lambda is a subsidiary of the TDK Corporation, a leading global electronics company.$$$
Acopian Power SuppliesEaston, PA | 800-523-9478
For 4 decades, Acopian Power Supplies has specialized in long lasting power supplies (0 volts – 30000 V). We offer AC power supplies, DC power supplies, AC to DC converters, uninterruptible power supply (UPS), AC to DC power supplies & high voltage power supplies. With quality customer service & technical support, we have thousands of power supplies for thousands of applications.$$$
Applied Power Systems, Inc.Hicksville, NY | 516-935-2230
APS are specialists in power conversion and the manufacture of high performance power systems. Products include power converters and inverters; motor drives and brakes; battery chargers; AC and DC power supplies; driver circuits and more. Custom and standard power systems are available.$$$
Triad MagneticsPerris, CA | 951-277-0757
Our company offers a variety of standard and custom power supplies. These items are great for a wide range of applications. If you have any special requests then please let our representatives know. If you ever run into any questions or issues then our engineers are available to assist you. There is no project too challenging for our teams! Give us a call today!$$$
Quail Electronics, Inc.Livermore, CA | 800-669-8090
At Quail Electronics, we are your power cord specialists. Our power supplies consist of green dot cords, high voltage cords, North American and international cords, specialty cords, plus adapters, plugs and strips.$$$
Like AC, the current flow in DC circuits is unidirectional and does not change direction frequently. DC has a sine wave-like waveform. As a result, the voltage stays constant over time, as shown below.
DC can be generated in the following ways:
- Direct current can be generated using an AC generator with a "commutator" component.
- Use of a "rectifier," a device that transforms AC to DC.
- Batteries supply direct current (DC), produced by a chemical inside the battery.
An electrical device called a DC generator's main job is to turn mechanical energy into electrical energy. According to the electromagnetic induction theory of Faraday's Laws, an E.M.F. will be produced when the conductor cuts the magnetic flux. This electromotive force may result in a current flow when the conducting circuit is closed.
How a DC Generator Works
According to Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction, an electromagnetic field (E.M.F.) is induced in a current-carrying conductor when put in a changing magnetic field. Fleming's right-hand rule states that as the conductor's direction of motion alters, so does the induced E.M.F. current. For example, imagine an armature revolving counterclockwise and a conductor traveling upward from the left.
The conductor will move downward when the armature has completed half its rotation. As a result, each armature's current will flow in an alternate direction. On the other hand, a split ring commutator reverses the interconnections of the rotor conductors in response to a current reversal. As a result, the terminals experience a unidirectional current.
Main Parts of a DC Generator
- Stator: The stator's primary job is to create magnetic fields in which the coil can spin. Two magnets facing each other with opposing polarity make up a stator. These magnets are positioned such that they will fit in the rotor's area.
- Laminations: A DC machine's rotor comprises slotted iron laminations that are layered to form a tubular armature core. The lamination aims to reduce the loss brought on by eddy currents.
- Transformer Windings: Armature windings are wired in series or parallel in a closed circuit to increase the total output current.
- Yoke: Yoke refers to the DC generator's outside frame. It is constructed of steel or cast iron. It offers the mechanical force required to carry the magnetic flux generated by the poles.
DC is mainly used in portable electronic devices that largely rely on battery power, such as notebook computers and cell phones. These electronic devices frequently contain several tiny circuits, each of which has a different voltage demand from the one provided by the battery or an external source.
The battery voltage also decreases as stored energy is used up. Switching to DC power supplies provides a technique to increase the voltage from a battery voltage that has been partially reduced, saving space. This would use up space to accomplish the same task with multiple batteries.
Power optimizers are DC/DC supplies that take advantage of energy harvesting from wind generators and PV systems. For powers greater than a few watts, transformers used for voltage conversion at a main electrical frequency range of 50 to 60 Hz ought to be heavy and larger.
Comparing the complex circuitry to a basic main supply transformer wiring of the same output, the complex circuitry is more affordable and highly efficient. DC/DC power supplies are often used for Micro-grid applications when using various voltage levels.
Advantages of DC Power Supply
- It provides ways to increase voltage using partly reduced cell voltage.
- This power source is accessible as a full combination circuit unit and requires only a few additional parts.
- To control voltage, DC choppers are employed, which are highly efficient.
- The power output for PV systems is intended to be used as efficiently as possible, making the DC power supply very efficient.
- Depending on the condition of the barrier, separated DC converters have additional power transformers.
- The output of the isolated converter is classified as either negative or positive.
Choosing the Right DC Power Supply Company
To make sure you have the most constructive outcome when purchasing DC Power Supplies from a DC Power Supply Company, it is important to compare at least 4 Companies using our DC Power Supply directory. Each DC Power Supply Company has a business profile page that highlights their areas of experience and capabilities and a contact form to directly communicate with the manufacturer for more information or request a quote. Review each DC Power Supply business website using our proprietary website previewer to get an idea of what each business specializes in, and then use our simple RFQ form to contact multiple DC Power Supply companies with the same quote.